October 5, 2011
What to wear and expect for an Engagement Session
– 1. Coordinate Colors. This doesn’t mean matchy-matchy, it just means that you wear colors that complement each other and pieces that have common shades.
2. Be bold with color. Yes, black is slimming but it doesn’t always come out well in photos so try and pick a bright color that will stand out.
3. Wear extra make-up! Your engagement session is a great time to try out your wedding make-up artist, see if you can coordinate a trial on the day of your engagement session. If not, make sure you wear heavier make-up than your everyday look, and definitely wear lipstick!
4. Don’t be afraid of prints. I know they may be a bit scary, but a head to toe print can look great in photos. Just make sure it’s one that is flattering and hits you in the right places! Also, stay clear of logos and designs on shirts, etc. To balance the print, have your fiance wear a solid color.
5. Choose clothes that complement your surroundings. Try and wear an outfit that matches your location. For example if you are going to be shooting in a wheat field, then wear a casual sun dress with cowboy boots. But if your shoot is more formal a cocktail dress or nice pair of slacks and sweater is the way to go.
6. Have an outfit change. It’s a good idea to have one casual outfit and one more formal one. And if you are unsure of what to wear, bring a couple options to your shoot and ask me which one I think will work best.
7. Wear playful accessories. Play up your femininity if the outfit is edgy or choose edgy jewelry to balance super feminine outfits.
8. Avoid anything too trendy. You want your outfit to be current and contemporary, but not something that’s going to be embarrassing in 5 months!
9. Wear layers. In my research, there were quite a few photographers who said that clothes photograph better when they are layered. So add a cardigan, blazer or jacket to finish your look!
10. Be true to your style. It sounds like a cop out, but really and truly the best photos are the ones where the couple is just being themselves. So above all, wear an outfit you’re comfortable in and that accentuates your style.
11. Have fun! Laugh and smile and have fun with each other